Client: Car City Ringwood
Afflux Consulting was engaged by Car City to undertake a stormwater treatment plan for their site in Ringwood in response to outstanding permit conditions. The current site is a large fully impervious car dealership yard. Various site opportunities and constraints were examined in this investigation. Particular concerns regarding stormwater pollutants from car washing, litter and other activities are also addressed. Given the site’s proximity to Mullum Mullum Creek, stormwater pollutants can drain directly to the creek with little buffer. Continual discharge of untreated stormwater into Mullum Mullum Creek would have resulted in degradation of the creek’s health and water quality, leading to loss of natural amenities downstream.
A range of opportunities and threats associated with the current arrangements have been listed for the site. While space is the primary limitation, some measures can be taken to ensure that the site is able to meet pollutant removal targets. The report recommended the following:
- Litter Baskets to be retrofit into existing pits (3x).
- Exfiltration swale located along the northern boundary.
- Education program to raise awareness of stormwater pollution and it’s sources.
- Pond located at the end of swale for additional pollutant treatment.
Key Features and Innovations:
- Worked with Council to build a WSUD asset that works for the site and client.
- Able to secure funding for performance testing of proposed swale and pond.