Client: Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) were leading the preparation of the draft Bulleen Precinct Plan. This was an action which has been identified in the Yarra Action Plan (State of Victoria Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, 2017). It was driven by the need to have stronger planning controls around the Yarra and the proximity of the Yarra to Bulleen.
The draft Bulleen Precinct Plan (BPP) aimed to realise four key initiatives:
- Initiative 1: Ecological connections and connected parklands
- Initiative 2: Internationally significant cultural precinct
- Initiative 3: Access for the future
- Initiative 4: Multiple use & compact urban form
The project reviewed the flooding and water quality objectives and opportunities for the precinct. Revised modelling of the section, including an understanding of the frequency and lower levels of flooding was undertaken to aid in the discussion. Key outcomes included the setting of possible land uses and water quality outcomes.
- Large flood modelling of the Yarra River through the Bulleen Flats
- Greater understanding of the flood frequency in the area
- Expert advice to aid in the planning decisions